We have all been there: we are doing great at sticking to our diet plans, living a healthy lifestyle, eating a well, controlled, and balanced life… and then… BOOM! November comes and, in a flip of a second (or more like a month – from the end of November until the end of December), all of the effort we had put towards our health goals goes unnoticed because we don’t know how to recover after eating holiday foods.
And in January we feel like we have to start from ZERO again.
That is actually so common in people’s lives that most people don’t even try to eat well through the holidays. They basically accept that things are not going to go well and they will start over again when January 1st comes.
Things do NOT have to be that way, though! On this blog I am going to tell you what to do AFTER you ate the junk that you decided to eat through the holidays. I’m not going to tell you what not to eat, but what to do AFTER the fact because, truth be told, we are all humans and can’t do 100% well 100% of the time, especially when we are surrounded by so much food, so much junk, and so many people telling us that we need to eat this, and that, and the other, because “they made those things thinking of us”.
See, I know how it goes and, just like you, I also struggle through the holidays.
The good news is that there are some things that will keep us on track and help us recover after the long Thanksgiving weekend, and between Christmas and New Year’s.
Here are my top 5 tips of what to do to recover from the junks you ate through the holidays and go right back on track. I call them my “5 D tips”:
- Drink 3 liters of water per day. We should all be drinking an average of 3 liters of water/day anyway, but since we need to get rid of all of the toxins and salts that we ate during the holidays, we have to really make sure that we are drinking those liters up!
- Drink at least 1 liter of green tea for the next 3 days. Yes, 3 L of water PLUS 1 L of green tea. You will be peeing out ALL of those toxins that hold on to the fat that you don’t want to gain. Green tea is a great fat burner since it speeds up our metabolism besides being an excellent source of powerful antioxidants that get rid of the crap we eat through the holidays.
- Ditch the salt for the next 3 days. As we know, salt holds on to water, so if we eliminate it from our menu for 3 days post feasting, we will help our bodies eliminate toxins and get back on track even faster.
- Do a 24 hour Fast after Feasting. I know this sounds a little extreme but it isn’t. This is the best advice I can give you when you eat too much fats, sweets, salt, and all the other junk that the holidays gift us with (lol). Fasting allows our digestive system to take a break and recover. By fasting our bodies will focus on eliminating the junk instead of eliminating PLUS digesting more food. Yes, you will only be drinking green tea and water for 24hrs.
The way I like to do this is to pay attention at the time I put the last piece of junk in my mouth. That is the time that I will START eating HEALTHY the next day. That, for me, usually means 7 or 8pm. So only at 7 or 8pm of the next day I will eat again. And yes, I won’t be consuming the 2,000 calories/day that I am used to eating, but that will also help my body to keep on eliminating toxins through the 2nd night post-junk.
- Deep Sleep. Make sure you are getting about 7-8hrs of deep sleep every night. Our bodies recover and eliminate toxins much faster while we sleep by releasing different types of hormones into our bloodstream. That is why sleeping plays a very important role in this recovery-post-junk-system. Ha!
I can assure you that if you follow my 5 D tips you will NOT see a bloated body when you look in the mirror after the holidays, and you will NOT want to give up until January comes.
As always, please reach out if you may have any questions!
Happy and Healthy Holidays to you and your loved ones!
With Love and Gratitude,
Gabriela Brandao, CHHC, MMP.