In today’s society everything needs to be done fast, now, yesterday!! The same happens when people want to lose weight. Most people want to lose weight fast — as fast as they can – and are willing to do what it takes to get there. But what most people don’t understand is that there are many different ways to lose weight.
You can lose fat, you can lose water weight, and you can lose muscle mass. All of those things will make the number on the scale decrease. Most of the time, when people say that they want to lose weight, what they mean is that they want to lose fat – NOT water weight or muscle mass -, but what isn’t written on many of the speedy diet books for sale and fad gizmos, is that one CANNOT lose FAT weight, in a healthy manner, too fast.
Think about it: how long did it take you to gain all of the weight that you are trying to lose? 5 months? 2 years? 10 years? So why do you think is possible to lose all of the weight in 7, 21, 30 days, 2 months? Is it possible to bring the number on the scale down that fast? Yes. Is it healthy? ABOSLUTELY NOT. Losing more than 1 pound per week is not considered healthy for your body.
Let me explain the reason to you in more detail.
There are 3,500 calories in 1 pound of fat. This means that for you to lose 1 pound of FAT in 1 day you need to starve yourself of 3,500 that day. Since the average population’s BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 2,000 calories, this means that you would have to not eat all that day + burn another 1,500 calories exercising. And how in the world is that healthy? Well, it isn’t — at all.
Many diet books, articles, and fads make it look that you will lose fat in a week, or 2, or 3. But as you can see, that is IMPOSSIBLE. It means that for you to lose 5 pounds of FAT in 1 week you would have to be in a 17,500 calorie deficit in 7 days — which means 2,500 calorie deficit per day, in a week!
What you actually lose during those crazy diets is energy. They tell you to eat like a bird 5 – 6x/day (saying that if you don’t, you are going to mess up your metabolism), when the truth is: WHEN YOU DON’T EAT ENOUGH, YOU MESS UP YOUR METABOLISM. That is why when you go back to eating like a human being, you end up gaining more weight than what you lost; because your metabolism slowed down (and that takes some time to heal before going back to normal).
That’s where I think the real danger is. Since people gain more weight than they lost when they stop dieting, they think that the only way for them to lose weight is to stay on that crazy diet they were on, causing more and more damage to their metabolism, and becoming sicker and sicker – without even knowing… Just because they trusted false and dangerous information. – Which is not the consumer’s fault!
People may be able to follow extreme low calorie diets for 1 day, but I’m sure that by the 2nd day they will be feeling very dizzy and can even end up in the hospital with kidney imbalances, hormone imbalances, and even heart problems, if they don’t have enough calories in their bodies for some time longer. There are also other diets and fads (I.e.: shakes, Paleo Diet, Atkins, Whole30) that will make you lose weight fast by cutting carbs, eating mainly proteins and fats.
You do lose weight cutting carbs and there are 2 reasons for that: you stop giving your body the number one go-to source of energy (the easiest source provided to your body) that it uses – and NEEDS to perform everything (including breathing, heart beating, thinking, blinking etc, so your body HAS to find another source of energy for you to survive. The second source of energy (the second easiest provided to your body) is fat. That’s why people lose fat on a low-carb diet. Because your body is literally eating itself out to survive.
The 2nd reason why you lose weight cutting carbs is because your body stores the carbs (glucose) that you eat as glycogen, in your muscles (and liver, to maintain its basic system functions ). The thing is: 1 gram of glycogen holds between 3-4 grams of water! So, when you stop eating carbs, you eliminate the WATER in your muscles along with the glycogen. That’s what makes the number on the scale to go down so fast, and also makes you look lean. But it was all WATER WEIGHT!
Like I said before, you need to be in EXTREME calorie deprivation to lose FAT fast. EVERYTHING ELSE IS WATER LOSS.
What they don’t want you to know is that those diets ALSO cause hormonal imbalances, kidney, liver, brain, and heart problems. This way of eating causes extreme kidney and liver exhaustion leading to adrenal fatigue and high cortisol (which actually causes weight GAIN long-term), high cholesterol levels, thyroid malfunction, sleep deprivation, irritability, low-energy, loss of focus, and even long-term brain disorders!
Did you know that about 20% of the cabs that you consume is used by the brain? Did you know that the brain controls all of the organs in your body? And what do you think happens when you cut cabs out of your diet? Yes… Not good AT ALL!
So you may be wondering… what is the safest way to lose weight fast?
Here my 6 BEST tips:
- Eat a balanced diet consisted of lean proteins, unsaturated fats, complex carbohydrates (I.e. Potatoes, brown rice, quinoa, barley, beans, etc), fruits and vegetables.. — too many simple carbs, for example refined sugars, white bread etc, are not good for your health and weight loss goals, increasing tryglicerides, blood glucose, and risk for diabetes.
- Eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are not. — too often people follow a rule of eating 4, 5, 6, meals per day, and that may cause them to overeat because those 4, 5, or 6 portions are small and may not make you full. So you end up squeezing in a banana, for example, with those 6 meals, and that’s 660 calories more than what you should be eating.
- Drink at least 3 liters of water per day. — this will ensure that your body stays hydrated and also eliminates any EXCESS WATER that your body doesn’t need.
- Count your calories. — make sure that you are EATING ENOUGH!! Eat 500 calories under your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) at the MOST. TDEE means your BMR plus your daily activity burn. Having a calorie deficit that is greater than 500 calories will make your body suffer long-term. Eating 500 calories below your TDEE will make you lose 1 pound of fat per week.
- Sleep 8hrs per night. — this allows your body to restore and eliminate toxins more efficiently. Since toxins hold on to fat, sleeping makes it easier for your body to eliminate the fat!
- Throw your diet books away! — instead, change your lifestyle. Make your health your number-one priority. When health is your focus, the numbers on the scale go down like magic.
I hope that you were able to understand more about your body through this post, and as always, CHOOSE TO BE HEALTHY every day!
Much love, health, and gratitude,
Gabriela Brandao, CHHC, MMP.